By the hour

Yesterday was all about productivity.

4:50 a.m: The iPhone alarm goes off and I jam my contacts into my eyes. Since I slept in my workout clothes (highly recommended if you’re an early exerciser) I throw my hair into a ponytail.  In my half asleep state, tinted moisturizer and a smudge of eyeliner find their way onto my face.  I look interesting. Note the lack of a photo.

5:00 a.m: Out the door with a date roll for a companion.  Date rolls make me happy even before the sun rises.


5:20 a.m. I made it to the gym! I put on my chipper, “awake” face and gently warn my muscles that they’re about to be assaulted.

5:30-6:30 a.m. Take an amazing Body Pump.  Surprise myself by upping my chest and bicep weights and not dying.  I leave the gym groaning – it’s hard to turn the steering wheel after Pump – but feeling 100% awake and strong.

7:00 a.m. Arrive back at the house where I’m dog-sitting for a couple of weeks.  Feed the dogs, get lick on the ear, and make a mental note not to bring my face within proximity of Reesi’s tongue.

7:05 a.m. Breakfast, my favorite part of the morning. Enjoy every spoonful of overnight oats, prepared with chia seeds, cashews and Better ‘n’ Butter.


Plus a sprinkling of these:



[I found these at Whole Foods last week, and they are addictive.  I ended up giving the bag to my mom because I wanted to eat them all.  Now she has to deal with their seduction, hahaha.]

7: 40 a.m. Put hair into a bun, pack school stuff, laptop, lunch and snacks, water bottle, ballet clothes, makeup and midterm ballet project. Move at tornadic speeds while doing so because I’m always doing things at the last minute.

8:25 a.m. Arrive at Lindenwood, shove all of my belongings into a locker.  Leave again.

8:30 a.m. Arrive at my mom’s work, hug and say hi. We haven’t seen each other much since I’ve been away from home all week, which feels weird since my mom and I have a very close relationship.  

8: 40 a.m. RUN. Spend 3 miles winding through random streets (and through a cemetery!) and almost beat my current 5k PR.

9:03 a.m. Arrive back at Lindenwood, where I catch my ballet teacher (and LU dance dept. head) as she’s arriving.  She smiles and says, “Good morning, crazy!” Yes, I am crazy.

9:30-12:30 Despite how tired I know I should be, take a great pointe class followed by a movie day (thank goodness!) in Modern dance. Feeling very gross and sweaty.

12:30-1:00 Treck another mile across campus while scarfing down lots of kale and some raw vegan Pad Thai from VegaDeli.  Raw zucchini noodles float my boat, so to speak. Fall up the stairs because I’m too busy eating.  Save the Pad Thai from falling on the floor. Success.

1:00-2:15 Physics class.  Don’t pay attention.  Look interested while blogging and working on a Lit. paper. Physics is not phun. Eat one of these to further distract myself from the lecture:


2:15-2:30: Walk another mile back to the performing arts building, where I drop off my school stuff and tighten my running laces once more.  Decide that I don’t really want to run another 3 miles.  But alas, my car awaits me.

2:30-2:53: RUN! Beat my PR and feel absolutely (and surprisingly) fantastic.  Give mom another hug and drive home back to the dogs!


All of that before 3 o’clock? I don’t really know how it all came through, but I know I couldn’t do it without my plant-based diet!

Speaking of which, I think it’s safe to say that I’m 100% vegan now.  My whole transition from meat eater > quasi-vegetarian > pescetarian > vegetarian > vegan has been very natural and easy.  I never forced myself.  Never, at any point, did I tell myself “No, you can’t eat that.” I never look at a steak and wish I could still it it.  From my perspective, I can eat whatever I want.  My veganism is my choice – it’s what I want and what my body thrives on. After all, it’s not about the pride of the “vegan” title, it’s about eating what’s best for me, the world…and what tastes good!



Picnik collage

Dinner: kale salad with NOOCH and liquid aminos, a ginormous heirloom tomato (!), and an assortment of roasted butternut squash, sweet potato, green pepper, and tofu. Perfect example of why I love eating whole, real, local foods.

Oh, and after all that activity, I earned a date night!  Unfortunately it wasn’t a date with Sean…


It was a date with a bathtub-ful of ice water. Brrrrr.

(Note: this picture was taken near the end of the bath, once the ice had melted and all feeling in my legs was lost!)


After a 20 minute soak, it took a good 2 hours to properly warm up again.  Space heater, leggings, blanket, and tea were all employed. It all paid off, though, because I’m hardly sore at all today! My brain is sore, though, from my second date of the night:


Oscar Wilde paper! I worked on it until 1 a.m., and then got back up at 5:30 to revise it. I’m so glad midterms are officially over with!

Alright people, it’s back to the homework grind for a few hours before going to bed.  Thats how exciting my life is!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s